The History of Telecommunications Wiki
From CSI Wiki FarmHello!
Welcome to the CellStream History of Telecommunication Timeline wiki pages. Some of us have been in telecommunications for our entire careers. This history project started many years ago, and has grown to a very large size. We have even split off the Internet History as a separate but related project.
This is a work in progress as we discover new historical data which you can contribute to!
You must register to edit pages here! We would love some additional participation, so let us know if you want to help
What is Telecommunication?
- Tele (Greek) = distant
- Communication (Latin) = connection
Human beings have always had a need to share their thoughts and experiences. In earlier times it was difficult to stay in touch with people who lived far away. Today, you can pick up the phone and talk to people anywhere in the world. Communication is necessary for human development.
A number of individuals (click on their names to see their pictures) have contributed to the development of electricity and early telecommunications.
- Volta 1800 Chemical battery
- Ørsted 1820 Electromagnetism
- Ampere 1820 Electromagnetic theory
- Faraday 1831 Electromagnetic induction
- Morse 1837 Electric telegraph
- Bell 1876 Telephone
- Edison 1880 Carbon transmitter
- Hertz 1886 Carbon transmitter
- Marconi 1900 Radio
- Fleming 1904 Radio tube
- Baird 1925 Television
Sources Used during the creation of this information include but are not limited to:
- Various History time lines
- Telephony Magazine
- Business Communications Review Magazine
- Apple History
- History of Computing Information compiled by (late) Mike Muuss (author of ping) at the U.S. Army Research Laboratory (ARL)
- Cable & Wireless. A History
- The Dead Media Project, by Bruce Sterling
- Hobbes' Internet Timeline
- IEEE History Center
- ITU, ITU's History
- Our thousands of friends and users (thank you)!