CellStream, Inc. – Telecom Consulting and Training!
2-Day Instructor Led Hands On Lab Class
Knowing the fundamentals of the Wireshark® application and how to diagnose/troubleshoot packets on the network, with a focus on the IEEE 802.11 Wireless LAN protocol is vital to anyone who is in the networking field today, whether it be Service Provider level or Enterprise level. This insightful and revealing course has been designed to focus on the packet level analysis of Wireless networking.
There are tremendous differences between analyzing traffic over wired and wireless networks. These differences include data security, packet structure, transmission and reception methods, bandwidth optimization, and wireless authentication and authorization, and more. This course dives into the details of Wi-Fi packet capture and analysis. It also explains RadioTap information, which provides insights into channel selection and troubleshooting wireless performance issues. All these topics are covered at both an operational and a practical hands-on level, including student hands-on labs.
The objectives of the course are:
Understand the tools and techniques available to analyze wireless networks
Set up a wireless profile and filter wireless captures using Wireshark
Explore how to analyze Wi-Fi packets using Wireshark
Detail the contents of a Wi-Fi packet
Describe how to use Wireshark to analyze and troubleshoot common Wi-Fi operational and implementation problems
Gain technical expertise on wireless packet analysis and how I can better manage that importance in my job function
This course is designed for individuals that require a deeper understanding of Wi-Fi, including network administrators, designers, product developers, network architects, analysts, and technical support personnel. Specific use cases include:
- Network administrators that need to:
- Measure performance and plan for future growth
- Troubleshooting wireless network problems
- Network security engineers that need to examine and investigate wireless security issues
- Developers that need to debug protocol implementations
- IT professionals that need to understand and explore wireless network protocol internals
This course is designed to appeal to anyone needing the skills and knowledge to use Wireshark in Wireless analysis. Although this course does not require any specific prerequisites, knowledge of how to use Wireshark and how Wi-Fi works would be beneficial.
All students must attend with a lap-top computer. If the course is held at a classroom where computers are available, the Lap-top computer may not be required.
Class size is limited to 20 students.
Students will be provided with a PDF Course Student Guide. Access to the lab exercises and Wi-Fi packet captures will be provided via the Online School of Network Science (www.netscionline.com).
We offer a number of different Wireshark courses, with a focus on different use cases:
- The basic Standard Edition Wireshark course taught in 2 days
- The basic Standard Edition Wireshark course taught in 3 days
- The Data Center Edition Wireshark course
- The Wireless Edition Wireshark course
- The Voice Edition Wireshark course
- The One Day Advanced Hackathon Wireshark course
There are several related courses that explore the technical aspects of both today’s and tomorrow’s wireless networks.
- For students requiring an understanding to today’s and future mobile networks we offer:
- 4G 101 Foundation, available both as instructor led and self-paced
- 4G 201 Advanced, available both as instructor led and self-paced
- 5G 101 Foundation
- 5G 201 Advanced
- For students working on IoT, we have several additional courses that compare and contrast the different technologies being deployed to connect “things” to the Internet, such as:
- Enabling IoT: Wireless Low Power and Lossy Networks
- Enabling IoT: The ZigBee Protocol, available both as instructor led and self-paced
- Enabling IoT: IEEE 802.15.4 Low Rate Wireless Sensor Networks
- Enabling IoT: Wireless Access in Vehicular Environments (WAVE)
- Enabling the IoT: Next Generation 802.11 WLANs
- For students needing a fundamental understanding of the operation of 802.11 Wi-Fi networks we have:
- For students looking to troubleshoot Wi-Fi networks, we offer an Explore Packet Analysis with Wireshark (Wireless Edition) course that shows students how to capture Wi-Fi packets over-the-air and how to analyze your captured packets.
Sniffing wireless networks
Where to sniff wireless traffic
Which layer to sniff
What tool to use
What you capture
Where you should be physically
Getting started with Wireshark
Lecture and lab: Installing a packet analyzer, Wireshark
Lecture and lab: Open and save wireless packet captures
Lecture and lab: Creat a custom wireless profile with Wireshark
Lecture and lab: Filtering a wireless packet capture in Wireshark
Analyzing the 802.11 protocol with Wireshark
Lecture and lab: RadioTap physical layer information
Lecture and lab: Understanding 802.11 MAC addresses
Lecture and lab: Exploring the 802.11 MAC frame control fields
Lecture and lab: Dissecting the 802.11 parameter sets to determine AP and client capabilities
Analyzing and Troubleshooting Common Wi-Fi Problems
Lecture and Lab: Implementing EAP and 802.1X Port Based authentication
Lecture and lab: Ensuring the confidentiality of user data
Lecture and lab: Implementing 802.11e QoS
Contact us for schedule dates and times.
View the course calendar and browse for our schedule.
Course Description, Content, Outline, and Instructional Design are Copyright ©CellStream, Inc.