Mr. Walding enjoys more than thirty years of hands-on/front-line experience in the communications industry. His experience spans access engineering, transmission systems, network management, network implementation scenarios, network and field operations, sales, and engineering support. In all of his varied roles, he has maintained a focus on emerging technologies: how new technologies are implemented (in terms of both products and services), as well as how emerging technologies offer national and international business opportunities.
Mr. Walding began his career in field service in telecommunications. He held several positions supporting Central Office operations to satellite communications. He developed and engineered several RF products, was responsible for the design and installation of a satellite network control center using VSAT (very small aperture terminal) spread-spectrum technology. In his next position, Mr. Walding directed field service, customer service, and network operations for a regional office of a major news and information services provider: REUTERS INFORMATION SERVICES. In this capacity, he developed strategies and technical implementations for a private CATV Broadband network in San Francisco, CA.
Later, Mr. Walding joined DSC Communications Corporation, where he filled a number of positions. He began as Product/Program Manager for the DEX ECS3 and ECS1 digital cross-connects, and successfully positioned them for acceptance at MCI, the RBOCs and other major carriers. As Senior Product Manager for the Integrated Multiservice Transport Node (iMTN), he co-chaired two international collaborations for combined SDH and SONET standards. As Director, he managed the development of a Digital Loop Carrier product "Litespan 120", with 120-line electrical andoptical interfaces. Mr. Walding and his team defined the product, and developed deployment, project, and business plans.
As Senior Director, Engineering, Mr. Walding lead and managed the DSC engineering program for wireless local loop efforts in the United Kingdom, AIRSPAN, using point-to-multipoint CDMA / Spread Spectrum technologies. In his final position with DSC as Senior Director, ATM / Frame Relay Group, he was responsible for developing an ATM and Frame Relay program which met customer's networking needs with rapid program development times and low cost. Mr. Walding mastered ATM / Frame Relay interworking requirements and assisted in establishment of OEM arrangements, agreements for hardware, software, and corporate partners.
Following this comprehensive history of hands-on technical and business experiences, Mr. Walding founded CellStream,Inc., a telecommunications consulting firm based in the Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX metroplex. He also became a member and author of the Technical Faculty of Telecommunications ResearchAssociates (TRA) and then founded the Online School of Network Sciences
Mr. Walding has authored many industry documents including hands on courses on Ethernet, IPv4, IPv6, Routing, MPLS/GMPLS, Wireshark, Wireless, WLAN, and currently has five US patents, on subjects of wireless call bandwidth allocation, network access adapters, an ATM/FR interoperating system and signaling between elements of a communications network.
- Has over 30 years experience in data and telecommunications engineering, network implementation and management, and product development of packet ATM/Frame Relay/Ethernet switching, access products, transmission systems and network management products.
- Faculty Member and author, educating telecommunications professionals in emerging packet/cell-based protocols and technologies.
- Online web application design and implementation using Joomla and Moodle
- Has authored many hands-on instructor led courses on a variety of subjects including MPLS, MPLS L3 and L2 VPN's, and IP over Optical Networks, Ethernet, IPv4, IPv6, Wireshark, VoIP, Wireless, WLAN, Security and many more.
- Member of the National Association of Communications Systems Engineers.
- Led an engineering team through development and customer acceptance of one of the first production ISDN capable CDMA wireless local loop systems, based in Europe as an expatriate.
- Led engineering efforts for an international FITL system utilizing V5.1/V5.2 digital concentration techniques.
- A team leader for engineering design of a very large SONET/SDH broadband cross-connect system utilizing latest ASIC and optical technologies.
- Has developed courses for the first VSAT satellite systems deployed in North America and instructed field operations staff for a nationwide service group.
- Has five issued patents and one pending in telecommunications architectures and methodologies.
- Directed all Field Service, Customer Service, and Network Operations activities for the North American Western Region of a major news and information provider.
- Developed and implemented industry leading packet technologies, strategies and other technical implementations for private CATV Broadband network in downtown San Francisco.