Many of you associated with CellStream already know that we have been busy over the past several months renovating our web presence by adding the CellStream Intranet site. I thought I would write a few lines about it so folks would know what has been going on, become aware of great new information available, and even copy our approach for their own businesses.

Let's start with the selection of methodology and a little history. CellStream was an early adopter of the Microsoft SharePoint system originally released back in 2002. We left a web service called and built our entire intranet/extranet around MS SharePoint 2003. We were anxious when SharePoint 2007 was released for the expected additional features. Our bubble was quickly popped when the upgrade was, well, full of seams, procedures, and required that we buy a $50 Microsoft book for the procedure. Nonetheless, the upgrade worked. About a month later we found that the upgrade has a few dozen really nasty strings attached, and further updates to our Windows 2003 Server kept causing our intranet/extranet to fail. Subsequently we halted all updates, the displeasure offset by our general happiness with SharePoint. Seeking advice, we were told that the move to Server 2010 was not possible without risk of loosing everything we had built. Support from Microsoft went unanswered. This made us huddle and reevaluate our position.

  • Option 1 was to build a new Server 2010 and rebuild our backoffice and sideoffice databases in SharePoint from scratch. There were a dozen or more consultants ready to bill hourly rates to accomplish this. We guessed the cost would be a round $20,000.
  • Option 2 was to evaluate the developing CMP (Content Management Platform) software available for free at our web hosting partner. None of us knew much about Joomla or Drupal, and we had no idea what effort it would take to rebuild our services. None of the consultants we spoke to about the SharePoint effort offered any sympathy to these tools, which raised our curiosity to say the least.

There seemed to be little risk in checking out the Joomla and Drupal platforms, so we loaded them from our web site control panel and began to play. After several days playing with these tools, we really appreciated the interface and usability of both platforms. Both are powerful and flexible with many options. That said, the preference was Joomla for its easy interface.

With the selection made we began to experiment with the amount of information we could replicate from our SharePoint site. Shared Calendar - check, in fact even better. Shared file systems - check, just as nice. Shared Project areas - check - in fact even better. A little side note here: we had actually left SharePoint for an online service called Basecamp. We liked Basecamp a lot, but it was not cheap. On Joomla, we use ProjectFork - which we absolutely adore - it contains files areas, time logging, bulletin board note tracking, auto emails, and much more built right in.

At this point we were committed. We moved articles into the site, added FAQs, moved many things from our public web site such as course listings, consulting service and learning services descriptions, News, Events, and even our favorite list of videos! It was all easy and super fast. The process continues! We are so happy with Joomla, ProjectFork and other tools, we have sent our contributions.

So what is the bad news? We have yet to replace the "list" function of SharePoint. This function essentially created Access/Excel-like databases for us to customize-ably track a myriad of information. We continue our efforts to replace this function. This downfall in the project has been offset by the more robust features of Joomla and the add-on's we have used so far. If you know of a way to replace this capability, let us know!

Tell us what you think of our new Intranet/Extranet venture! We would also love to hear about some of your favorite Joomla add-on's.

Comments powered by CComment

Subscribe to our Newsletter!

Subscribe to our monthly newsletter to learn about upcoming classes, new networking how to's and much more.

Find by Tag

4G Networks 5G Networks 6LoWLAN 6LoWPAN 802.11 802.11ah 802.11ax 802.11ay 802.11az Addressing Analysis Ansible Architecture ARP AToM Baseline BGP Bloom's Taxonomy Broadband Cable cat CellStream Cellular Central Office Cheat Sheet Chrome Cisco Cloud CMD Coloring Rules Computer Consulting Customer Support Data Center Data Networking DHCPv6 DNS Docker Documentation Dublin-Traceroute dumpcap ECMP Ethernet Ethics Evaluation Field Operations Fragmentation G-MPLS GeoIP Git GNS3 Google GQUIC Hands-On History Home Network ICMP ICMPv6 IEEE 802.11p IEEE 802.15.4 India Interface Control Internet IoT IPsec IPv4 IPv6 IRINN IS-IS L2VPN L3VPN LDP Linux LLN LoL M-BGP MAC Macro Microsoft mininet Monitoring MPLS mtr MTU Multicast Name Resolution Netcat Netmiko NetMon netsh Networking Network Science nmap Npcap NSE Observations Online School OpenFlow OSPF OSPFv2 OSPFv3 OSX OTT Paris-Traceroute Parrot PIM PMTU Policy POTS POTS to Pipes PPP Profile Programming Project Management PW3E Python QoS QUIC Remote Desktop Requirements Resume RIP Routing RPL RSVP Rural SDN Security Service Provider Small Business SONET Speed SS7 SSH SSL Subnetting SYSCTL T-Shark TCP TCP/IP Telco Telecom 101 Telecommunications Telephone termshark Testing TLS Tools Traceroute Traffic Engineering Training Travel Tunnel Ubuntu Utility Video Virtualbox Virtualization VoIP VRF VXLAN Wi-Fi Wi-Fi 4 Wi-Fi 5 Wi-Fi 6 Windows Winpcap Wireless Wireless 5G Wireshark Wireshark Tip WLAN Writing Zenmap ZigBee

Twitter Feed