CellStream, Inc. - Telecom Consulting and Training!
2-Day Instructor Led Hands On Lab Class
Advanced understanding of the Layer 3 (L3) control plane, specifically a solid foundation of OSPF and BGP, combined with Multicast are essential knowledge and skills necessary to implement VXLAN and other similar technologies. The combination of these L3 routing functions have permiated the Data Center and other networks. These networks have previously been heavily dependent on Layer 2 (L2) solutions, and this course is needed by individuals who have previously been focused on L2, and need to master the L3 solutions.
The course is a combination of knowledge training, systems analysis, with hands-on exercises using Cisco routers and Cisco IOS, designed by CellStream consultants to bring the technician/engineer, who knows a about L2 switching, to a deeper understanding of L3 focusing on OSPF, BGP, Multicast PIM, and then VXLAN itself. A combination of knowledge training, hands-on exercises, and hands-on experience through execution of Command Line interface to Cisco routing labs reveals the L3 functions in a swift, detailed, and understandable way.
The objectives of the course are to:
- Develop a "hands-on" skill set targeted at L3 networking in the following key areas:
- Open Shortest Path First (OSPF)
- Border Gateway Protocol (BGP)
- Multicast - focusing on Protocol Independent Multicast (PIM) Sparse Mode
- Use and understand configurations options of the L3 routing protocols
- Use and configure fundamental properties of IP Multicast
- Use and configuration of VXLAN
These objectives are met by covering the necessary technical bases in a straight forward manner, by keep the content in context of the objectives - connecting the dots. Utilizing a short, subject specific architecture with exercises to drive home key points and Hands-On experience that reveal these points builds skills and knowledge based on Bloom's Taxonomy. Presentation is industry current and up-to-date using a technology specialists.
The target audience for this course is anyone in the telecommunications field that requires a solid and complete understanding of the fundamental operations of the TCP/IP protocol suite in networking, and desires hands-on skills that can be applied to their job function. Ideal candidates are:
- Data Center, Central Office Technicians, Engineers, and Supervisors
- Operations individuals that will provide IP configuration and support services
- Development Engineers that must know advanced L3 networking in order to provide hardware and software solutions
- Network Design Engineers that need to understand advanced L3 services and applications
- Network Management individuals that are providing element and network management tools
- Network Administrators and IT professionals
- Technical sales individuals that must be able to correlate features with functionality
- Technical marketing individuals that want more than just a basic understanding of Advanced L3 Technologies
- Certification Track individuals that need to expand their knowledge and studies
CellStream has designed this course assuming students must complete a hands-on router configuration introductory course (such as our Hands-On TCP/IPv4 Fundamentals class) before attending the Advanced L3 course.
All students must attend with a lap-top computer in order to interface to the Router Lab. If the course is held at a classroom where computers are available, the Lap-top computer will not be required.
Students will be provided with a Course Student Guide and a Lab Guide. Also, a lab system for configuration and labs will be provided.
Some students have found that our approach to mastering IP Addressing provides needed skills towards acquiring further industry certifications such as Cisco CCNA.
The course outline is as follows: