Corporate Social Responsibility Statement/Policy
CellStream, Inc. (CSI) is keenly aware that the way we do business has an impact on the world, both social and environmental. Our corporate goal is to engage in social and environmental activities that maximize the positive impacts we can have, while minimizing any negative impacts.
Minimizing Environmental Impact
CSI recognizes that the use of computers, servers, switches and routers, the HVAC used to maintain the equipment environments requires the use of energy which often comes from fossil fuels, generating green-house gasses. Further, when our people travel to deliver consulting, training or participate in meetings, that travel also typically requires the consumption of fossil fuels and generates green-house gasses. Even though we are a small organization compared to large manufacturing or service-oriented organizations in the Fortune 500, we can still minimize the impact of these business activities, and should, by following these simple steps:
- We will only purchase Energy-Star compliant, or better, equipment where available.
- All workstations should be configured to use appropriate power-saving features, such as sleeping or hibernating when not in use, WOL (wake-on-LAN) for servers, etc.
- We urge and support e-learning via our On-Line School, as well as Web Meetings via Microsoft Live Meeting, Dim-Dim, and Webex to minimize the use of fossil fuel impacts due to travel.
- Telecommuting employees and contractors are encouraged to have their offices insulated to Builders Challenge levels or better, use highly-efficient HVAC devices, and low-power high-lumen lighting (such as LEDs). The current target for energy efficiency in such offices is a HERS value of 65 or less. Based on financial conditions and related factors, CSI may provide some financial assistance or other incentives for employees to implement these changes.
- Whenever an employee or contractor travels by air, they should purchase a carbon-offset for their flight, ideally from the same airline on which they are flying. If the airline does not offer this option, purchase a similar offset from www.carbonfund.org. CSI agrees that this is a reimbursable travel expense for your CSI-related trips.
Maximizing Social Good
CSI corporate social responsibility also includes maximizing the positive impact our company and its employees and contractors have on the communities in which we live, work, and to which we travel:
- CSI encourages its employees and contractors to volunteer with local charities. CSI will reimburse up to 1 week of paid time (pro-rated for part-time employees) when the present proof (such as a letter form an organization’s Executive Director or Volunteer Coordinator) that they have performed a volunteer activity with a 501(c) (3) charity.
- CSI contributes to a charities of its choice. Employees and contractors are encouraged to submit suggestions about to which charities CSI should direct its contributions.