- Download 7230
- File Size 55.71 KB
- File Count 1
- Create Date March 5, 2016
- Last Updated September 12, 2023
A Better Default Profile (for Wireshark ver 3.4.0 and later)
Most Wireshark users agree that the default profile is simply not good enough.
- The default should be a profile that you can start troubleshooting from.
- It should be a place where you can check off some important basics as you begin your evidence gathering.
My "better default" profile is just that. With important initial investigation steps at your fingertips - like time deltas, errors, and so much more.
Download this "Better Default" profile and always start your profiles customization from this profile. We think you will agree.
1. We changed the colors to be more vivid and easier to distinguish. Remember you can always disable color or modify these yourself.
2. We added the Time Delta column - a must for any future profile you might make.
3. We added the VLAN ID column - an essential starting place with L2 Ethernet
4. We added the L4 stream index column - again an essential starting place for TCP troubleshooting
5. We added the Destination Port column, again so helpful in finding initial application and port activity
6. We added custom display filter buttons for quickly finding packet comments, delta times greater than .25, .5 or .75 seconds, and much more.
Lastly we added our favorite Capture Filters as a starting point:
And our default set of display filters - again just a starting point:
Start using this Better Default profile right away and you will see, it is like the springboard for your troubleshooting and packet analysis.
What would you change?
What would you add?
Let us know. We thank all who have contributed to this profile over the years. Follow us on Twitter to receive notifications of updates to our profiles: @awalding and/or check us out on Github: https://github.com/amwalding/wireshark_profiles